- Strong GRE scores, typically above 30th percentile in Verbal and Quantitative
- Strong GPA, typically above 3.4
- Strong letters of recommendation indicating ability or potential to conduct rigorous scientific research
- Strong writing skills, as demonstrated in a personal statement and a research-based writing sample
How long will it take?
A minimum of 48 semester hours of graduate coursework must be completed beyond the master’s.
Where will I take classes?
Application Deadlines View Admissions Requirements
- Fall: April 15
Priority deadline for assistantships: January 15
- Spring: Does not admit
- Summer: Does not admit
Political Science, Ph.D.
This program offers training for careers in research and teaching in the heart of Atlanta. It has particular strengths in Political Behavior, Public Law and Democratization.
Our Ph.D. program is methodologically, demographically and geographically diverse. Students receive careful mentoring from their first day. Alumni work in academic, private, governmental, non-governmental and policy agencies worldwide.
- Ranked #72 in the nation by U.S. News & World Report
- Recent placements include Wellesley College, University of Georgia, California State University-San Marcos, Rhode Island College, Midwestern State University
- Meet our faculty and learn about their areas of specialization: https://politicalscience.gsu.edu/profile/
- Read about some of our recent alumni’s accomplishments:
Fellowships and assistantships in several areas are available on a competitive basis:
- Graduate Assistantships
- Transcultural Violence and Extremism Fellowships
- China Second Century Initiative Fellowships
- Foreign Language and Area Studies Fellowships
- 9 hours in each of two major fields
- 3 hours in two fields outside of major fields
- 12 hours of research methods training
- Dissertation with a 3-faculty-member committee
Note: Students can take courses at Emory University and Georgia Tech.
For more information about course requirements, go to the course catalog.
Graduates of our Ph.D. program will be able to research and teach about a range of political questions with the highest level of rigor. They take jobs for which these skills are in high demand in the academy, the private sector, in government or within civil society. While Georgia State alumni are particularly attractive in Georgia and the rest of the Southeast, they are also highly sought-after by universities around the globe.