Application requirements for the R.N. to B.S. degree option.
- Acceptance to Georgia State with nursing as the designated major.
- Graduation from an accredited associate degree or diploma program.
- Registration to practice as a registered professional nurse in Georgia.
- Evidence of practice – submit a current resume and transcript from an accredited school of nursing.
- Two letters of reference – one professional and one academic. Academic reference must come from the school of nursing attended. The second reference may come from an immediate supervisor or a faculty member from the school attended. If a student has been out of school for more than five years, a reference from a work colleague may take the place of the academic reference.
- Grade point average of at least 2.5 in all prerequisite courses.
- Must have finished all the Georgia State core requirements areas A-E before acceptance to the nursing program. We allow a maximum of four outstanding prerequisites for admission.
- A minimum grade of C or higher is required for prerequisites.
- Upon receiving an acceptance letter from the School of Nursing, the student will be required to establish contact with the School of Nursing records office to complete required forms and health-related requirements before entering into the nursing sequence. Four or fewer prerequisites must be completed before completing the program:
- ENGL 1101, ENGL 1102, (Composition I and II)
- MATH 1101 or MATH 1111 (Math Modeling or College Algebra)
- BIOL 2110K and BIOL 2120K (Human Anatomy & Physiology I and II w/labs)
- A sequence of two science courses with labs from the following: CHEM 1151K and CHEM 1152K (Survey of Chemistry I and II w/ labs) OR BIOL 1103K and BIOL 1104K (Introductory Biology I and II w/ labs) OR PHYS 1111K and PHYS 1112K (Introductory Physics I and II w/ labs)
- MATH 1401 (Elementary Statistics)
- PSYC 1101 (General Psychology)
- BIOL 2300/BIOL 2310 Microbiology and Public Health with Lab
- PSYC 3140 Abnormal Psychology or its equivalent
Credit is given for the following courses based on RN license, successful completion of seven credit hours and successful completion of the NURS 3490 Professional Concepts bridge course: NURS 2061, NURS 3510, NURS 3610, NURS 3710, NURS 3810, NURS 4610, NURS 4620 and NURS 3200.
The students must provide their current Registered Professional Nursing license number to the academic adviser no later than the time of registration for the first nursing courses. The license number is recorded at that time.
Contact the Byrdine F. Lewis College of Nursing and Health Professions Office of Academic Assistance at 404-413-1000 with questions about the R.N. to B.S. bridge program.