Students must apply and be accepted to the university as exploratory nursing students first. Once accepted student must:
- Complete the nursing professional program application.
- Write a two-page, double-spaced position paper (essay) on a healthcare or social issue. Attached to the online application and be sure to include the full name on the first page and add a work citation page.
- Supply two letters of recommendation (submitted before the application deadline).
1. Each letter of recommendation submitted must be on an official letterhead providing the complete address of the company or affiliated organization.
2. One letter must be academic (preferably college level); the other may be academic or professional.
3. Letters must include full name, title/position, telephone number and organization affiliated.
4. Each letter should be signed with an authentic recommender’s handwritten signature or electronic digital signature, dated and in the appropriate letter format. No computer signatures will be accepted unless using software to allow a digital signature.
5. All academic references must be placed on letterhead to avoid a reduction in application points.
Take the Test Essential Academic Skills-TEAS. Students must create an online profile with atitesting.com to register for the TEAS exam at Georgia State and other testing locations.
- The minimum science and program GPA needed to apply is 3.30.
- A person may only apply to the program twice.
- If you repeat any science prerequisites, please note that the first and second attempts only will be calculated into the science GPA.
(Definitions: program GPA = Georgia State core curriculum plus prerequisites, state institutional GPA = only courses taken at Georgia State)
For freshmen applying to the program, a 3.6 GPA or higher and the completion of 30 credit hours are required.
Area A: ENGL 1101, 1102 ; MATH 1001 or 1111
Area B: Phil 1010, Scom 1000, Pers 2001, 2002 or 2003 (2 courses)
Area C: Humanities (1 course) and Fine Arts (1 course)
Area D1: COMPLETED Sci sequence: Chem 1151K/Chem 1152K preferred
Area D2: MATH 1401
Area E: Hist 2110, Pols 1101, World History and Social Science
Area F: Biol 2110K**, Biol 2120K**(Course cannot be older than five years old), Biol 2300 & 2310 & Nurs 2010
Chemistry is the preferred course but any of the science sequences listed in the Georgia State course catalog are accepted.
International applicants are those students who are in the U.S. on a non-immigrant visa (B-1, H-1, J-1, etc.), students who are living outside the U.S. and who will require an F-1 visa to study in the United States, students who are in the process of applying for Permanent Residency status but have not yet received the Permanent Residency card or students who have been educated outside the U.S.